From Three Studies
It is established scientifically (Nobel Prize 1998) that nitric oxide is a compound in the body that dilates blood vessels and stimulates the release of hormones, such as insulin and human growth hormone. Nitric oxide boosters are available as a supplement in the form L-citrulline and L-arginine, et al, commonly. Multiple clinical trials by researchers related to the benefits of nitric oxide and its effectiveness have been performed. Presented here are some of those results.
Improves Heart Health
According to research published in Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications in the article, Oral supplementation with a combination of l-citrulline and l-arginine rapidly increases plasma l-arginine concentration and enhances NO bioavailability:
- Oral l-citrulline plus l-arginine rapidly raises plasma l-arginine levels.
- Combined administration causes a significantly greater increase in plasma NOx and cGMP.
- Blood flow is also significantly increased by l-citrulline plus l-arginine.
- This study proposes a novel strategy to rapidly potentiate NO–cGMP dependent reactions
- may have clinical utility in the regulation of cardiovascular function.
Reducing Erectile Dysfunction
According to Future Science OA in Development and therapeutic applications of nitric oxide releasing materials to treat erectile dysfunction:
- Nitric oxide activates relaxation of corporal cavernosal smooth muscle tissue resulting in increased blood flow.
- Oral arginine was combined with AMP showed some efficacy in patients with mild to moderate ED.
- L-citrulline can be converted to L-arginine and has the potential advantage that it neither undergoes first-pass metabolism nor is metabolized by intestinal bacteria.
- In humans, it was shown to improve the Erection Hardness Score in mild ED patients in a single-blind study.
Reducing High Blood Pressure
According to the European Journal of Clinical Investigation in Effects of prolonged oral supplementation with l‐arginine on blood pressure and nitric oxide synthesis in preeclampsia:
- After 3 weeks of treatment of 3g of l-arginine daily, values of systolic, diastolic, and mean arterial blood pressures were significantly lower.
Additional benefits of nitric oxide have been studied along with additional sources of nitric oxide such as grape seed extract. Visit our science blog for additional information.